Sunday, August 9, 2009

Feel Bad Movie Of The Year

Okay, I just saw a movie that got super great reviews, seemed like a feel good movie about a couple with problems-but they get through them, right??? Look, I know that all movies can't end sweetly or have wonderful feel good endings- it's not life...but this was just sadistically awful. A mother, fed up with her boring life, so much so to even notice that she has two children-decides that her husband should quit the job he hates to move to paris and become the person he was meant to be. GREAT, until he realizes that maybe he doesn't hate his job so much, and that the trip to Paris is a little unrealistic (or a lot). She feels stuck in a suburban life that they created simply because they got pregnant by mistake, then had another. So, as the plans seem concrete that they will be packing up to Paris, she finds out that she is pregnant....and wants to abort so they can follow through with the original plan to flee a tamed life. Meanwhile, the husband has done a roundabout, and no longer thinks it is responsible to take the family plus one to paris. She goes kind of crazy. Oh, and did I mention that all through this there is non stop chainsmoking, drinking, and adultery. I guess just to give it a little spice you know....so, in the end-she cooks a wonderful breakfast for her husband, sends her children to a friends house, Now, all through the end, the feeling is dark, and you know she is about to do something terrible-and just when you think she is going to take a bottle of pills or something, she goes upstairs and gives herself a home abortion. Then she dies of internal bleeding. ??????? Why would anyone want to watch such a dreary, horrible, hopeless movie????? I kept watching thinking, it has to get better-she has to realize she has two kids- then, you come to the realization that this is real life. Which is totally fine, I know all the crap that goes on out there, we see it everyday in the news, experience it through friends and family. Heartbreaking stories of people who committed suicide, mothers who kill their children, themselves, their husbands. I just don't think it's entertaining to see it. It's a sad story, but if I have enough sad stories of my own!

2 comments:

  1. Yikes so glad I didn't watch this movie.....so weird you wrote this at the same time I wrote my blog, you'll see why when you read it =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally saw, makes sense! I promise ren, it was terrible, it made me FEEL awful....I wish I had known a little more of the story line. BTW- it's Revolutionary Road with Leo and Kate

    ReplyDelete